S3 events notifications supports standard SNS topics and standard SQS queues as destinations but don’t support SNS FIFO and SQS FIFO.
S3 events notifications enables you to be notified whenever a specific event happens in your bucket. To receive the notification you must define the events you are interested in and the destination. The notifications are usually triggered in seconds but sometimes can take longer.
The events are –
- New object creation
- Object removal (versioned and non-versioned objects)
- Object restore (e.g from Glacier)
- Object lost on a reduced redundancy storage
- Object Replication
The possible destinations include –
- SQS – as mentioned above standard queues only and not FIFO queues
- SNS- as mentioned above standard topics only and not FIFO topics
If when processing the events you write back to S3 be careful not to create an execution loop
Bonus for the weekend – bumped into this and I cannot deny (of service) that it can happen to me too